It's Been Eating at Me For Awhile...

Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Monday, January 17, 2011 at 1:35 AM

I was debating about whether I should talk about this experience or not...

After having read a post by another friend on a similar topic, I felt like I really needed to share this.

It was the first Friday of the semester and I had decided to go to campus early for my 8am American Heritage lab. I wanted to have a chance to enjoy a leisurely walk to school and get some breakfast on campus.

As I was finishing my purchase of some wonderful hot bread at the Sugar and Spice in the Wilk, an older, shabbily dressed man approached the counter. His clothes were ragged and torn and exceptionally dirty. His eyes looked tired but he had a reluctant smile on his face. I had no doubt he was homeless and struggling.

I had backed up to finish organizing myself while allowing him to get to the counter to talk to the girl working.

He threw down 30 cents on the counter. "Considering this is all I have and I am really hungry...could I get a sample of something?" I felt awkward listening to this. The girl looked uncomfortable as well. "I can...get you an ice cream sample..." she offered timidly.

I made a split second decision. Knowing that he could get a donut for about 70 cents I pulled a dollar out of my wallet and handed it to him. He looked up at me with the biggest, most humble smile I have ever seen. "I...I am financially embarrassed," he laughed. "No worries, I know how that feels being a college student and all," I mumble awkwardly and walk away.

Walking away I feel my pride starting to surface. What a good person I am to help out that poor old man!

Suddenly a voice comes crashing through my head.

"I have given you how much money this past year and you could only spare him a dollar!"

I froze.

The guilt I felt was unbelievably piercing.

The Lord has indeed blessed me as I have worked and saved to get through college thus far. Unexpected scholarships, donations from generous family members, random change found when I needed a bit more to buy some milk...

I was humiliated by myself; to let myself be that prideful is humiliating to admit.

It was a lesson on many different levels.

Be humble. Be generous. Be grateful. Be kind. Be understanding.

But most of all...

Be more willing to show your gratitude to the Lord by helping his children more fully, less selfishly.

Comments:

There are 1 comments for It's Been Eating at Me For Awhile...

Post a Comment