Wear A Helmet...On Weekends and Holidays...

Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Ok...last week was...rough.

Riding home from class on Tuesday I re-realized just how much I hate Provo streets. Randomly the bike lane will disappear and magically turn into the turning lane for cars. So where am I supposed to go?

As I was riding I noticed a car trying to pass me to get into the turning lane. I was feeling kind of bad holding up traffic since (even as fast as I was going (and I was actually going pretty dang fast)) I was not going nearly as fast as those cars behind me. So, I figured I would just get up onto the empty sidewalk and let this guy pass by, unhindered.

I really am not sure quite what happened...

All I know is that I was getting up onto the sidewalk and the next thing I know is that my tire has completely stopped and I am going over my handle-bars. I know I must have skidded across at least ten feet worth of pavement before I came to a halt.

I jumped up super quick, really more embarrassed than hurt (at the moment).

A guy who was riding behind me came up really quick yelling, "Are you ok?! I have never seen such an epic crash before!" I kept assuring him I was fine, just embarrassed. I picked up my bike and was walking it (a bit nervous about trying to ride after that) down the sidewalk with him beside me. He stayed with me for a few moments, trying to gauge if I was really ok. My favorite comment of his: "Um...you have...leaves in your hair...do you want help getting those out?" I must have eventually convinced him that I was fine 'cause he said, "Well...if you are sure...I do kind of need to go..." and I let him go on his merry way.

Except...as he was riding away...I realized I was seeing two of him...

Not good.

By now, I am concerned. I am not really panicked just concerned. I realize that more likely than not I have a concussion from hitting my head on the pavement (did I mention I wasn't wearing a helmet?). The first thought that comes to mind? ..."Holy crap! Do I remember any Italian?! I have a quiz this week!" So...amidst my seeing problems, I am also now trying to remember any Italian verbs I can and how to conjugate them in different ways. The next thought that crosses my mind? ..."My dad is going to kill me for not wearing a helmet! Maybe...I can just sleep it off and pretend like nothing happened..."

Eventually, I arrive home, lock up my bike and gingerly walk into the apartment (by now I have noticed the major cuts, bruises, and scraps on my arms, legs, and face). I gulp down some water, walk around a bit and see if maybe I just need a few minutes to get it all together. Nothing is working. I am having even more trouble seeing now and I am not completely aware of what is going on. I give myself a moment to compose my voice (I hate it when my voice cracks and I knew it would since I was about to ask my roommate a very awkward favor).

"Uh...Katelyn...can you look up how to treat a concussion please."

After this things get a little fuzzy. Katelyn asks me if I have forgotten anything and I say, "I don't think so..." She also wants to know who we can call to take me to the hospital if necessary. "Oh! My hall advisor Lessa would be good. And her number is..." I draw a complete blank. "Ok...well, she lives in apartment number..." another blank.

Not good.

I remember that Darcy (another RA) had texted me after the crash and mentioned she had seen it but couldn't do anything because she was stuck in traffic. I try to text her but I am typing nonsense words and Katelyn is freaking out a little bit because she can tell I am slipping away. I confusingly tell Katelyn to call/text Darcy and see if she can come drive me to the hospital because by now I have realized it is completely necessary.

Apparently at some point I beg Katelyn not to tell my mom about this (I don't remember that...but that is what I have been told).

I only remember little bits and pieces of getting to the hospital and the experience there. I remember the doctor wanted me to put on a hospital gown and so asked me to take off my shirt and I tried to explain to him that "I am not like that. I don't just take off my clothes for people." I don't know if that was actually stated but I remember thinking it and trying really hard to explain that to him.

I also remember Darcy telling me that she was going to keep me awake by asking me questions. She apparently was having trouble coming up with questions so she just started going down the list of typical questions you ask someone you are meeting for the first time ("Where you from?" "What's your major?" "Where do you live?" etc.) I remember getting really worked up over one of the questions and freaking out at her. "Darcy! You don't know that about me?! I thought we were friends..." Poor Darcy. Ha! I was so gone I couldn't ever recognize the fact that she was just trying to keep me conscious.

Somewhere in the midst of all of this, I was given meds, my parents were contacted, my insurance was reviewed, and I was given a head-scan. I really don't remember much...just remember I was trying to be good and stay awake like Darcy had asked me too but it was REALLY hard. In fact, I remember a lot of my thoughts were very "child-like." I was really trying to "be good" but it was hard. Ha!

After the hospital I was taken back home and I slept for almost a whole day. My mom came down to help me recover (despite my protests that I was fine). I really did appreciate that. It made life a lot easier. Thanks Mom!

So...wear your helmet.

Lesson learned.

The hard way.

Comments:

There are 1 comments for Wear A Helmet...On Weekends and Holidays...

Post a Comment