The Devil is in the Details?
Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM
Sometimes I think people get too hung up with looking at everything that is going wrong. They notice all the negative things happening around them and can't help but join in the misery chorus. I am guilty of that more than I would like to admit.
Yes, I believe that Satan does have a terribly tight hold on this world of ours. Yes, I believe that if you look closely at all the evil, outrageously-well-thought-out schemes out there you will find him in the details.
But you know what I also believe?
I also believe that, more often than not, you will find God in the details: the details of your everyday life.
For example:
Today was kind of a rough day.
Ok...actually, there was no "kind of" about it.
Today sucked. It was long. It was difficult. It was pretty much down-right dreadful. I spent way too much time stressing over my paper that isn't coming together, my financial situation, my current lack of a love life (thank you BYU for making me even consider that to be a problem), my future, my present, my past...the list goes on and on.
*Side note - notice how many times I used the word "my"...that was probably my biggest problem of all today. I focused on myself. When I allow myself to become self-centered like that I notice an obvious drop in my ability to be positive and to feel the Spirit. I need to work on that...first step: admitting I have a problem (CHECK).
Anyway, as I was dragging my tired butt up the stairs to my apartment after a 3 hour library session (with very little progress on my paper to show for it, by the way), I came across a letter clipped to my front door. It was a letter from one of my missionary friends.
What was it doing on the door? I had already checked the mail (there was absolutely nothing for me...that is always kinda dreary, hahah!) today.
Apparently, this letter had accidentally been delivered to the wrong apartment in the complex and someone had been sweet enough to come and leave it for me. Of course, this actually meant that the letter was a few days late getting to me.
But you know what?
For the first time in a long while, I saw God in the details.
I needed today, more then ever before, to hear from a friend. If that letter had come on time, it wouldn't have had nearly the same kind of impact on me.
So, I want to thank that kind elder for writing the letter and to thank God for adjusting the timing of that same letter to best fit my needs.


I've been think a lot lately about how everything is created in God's image.
I think it's Newton's law that says "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction".
My thoughts have lead me to believe that is the same for us. When we are doing the right things and the Lord is pleased with our actions, you'd better believe that Satan is going to use the equal amount of effort into making you feel crumby.
It helps me to remember that. If I'm doing good. Satan is not going to like that and is going to try to make me feel like I'm not doing so well.
Ashley, darling, I'm glad we're friends!
That cartoon is classic. Glad you got some payback for all the missionary letter writing you do! :) Buck up, Lil Camper. Life is so good. :D
PS Glad to see "my parents" was not on the list of things you were stressing over! lol