I think I basically just relived an entire day from my BYU London Center days!
Okay...it probably wasn't exactly the same (I need to go reread that blog post and find out) but it was close.
We took a day trip out of the city to go see Stonehenge, Salisbury and Stourhead.
Stonehenge is still there. Three years doesn't seem to have done too much damage ;) It is one of those sites that you need to see at least once to say you have been there but...you can get away with only seeing it once if you want. It is a pile of rocks...granted, a very impressively built pile of rocks but still not much to look at. It really was fun though going with this group of people just because O have had a more enjoyable experience with them than the last group. Got some pretty sweet pictures, if I do say so myself!
Salisbury is such a cute town. I love it! Nate and I went to this delicious Thai restaurant for lunch and have come to the consensus that it was the second best decision we have made on this trip (only beat out by the Doctor Who Experience). It was seriously that good. And it was just so cute and quaint. It had a good vibe. Am I allowed to say that? Well, it did.
The cathedral in Salisbury is one of my favorites. It is beautiful. I have come to the conclusion that I prefer English Gothic to French Gothic. It just is more airy and lighter and feels more about celebrating God rather than tormenting our mortal flaws. I may have missed the entire point of French Gothic but it feels way more oppressive than the English. Personal preference but there it is. The tour guide I spoke to agreed with me, but...he may have been a bit biased, ha-ha!
Stourhead. Stourhead! Three years ago I swore to myself I would find a way to return there and today...I made it happen! It is just as stunning as I remember. Once again I found myself wishing we had more time to spend there but I am just so grateful I got to go back. I would dare say a trip to England would be worth it JUST to see that landscape garden. It is amazing. Amazing! I know I mentioned this in my blog post three years ago, but bear with me as I repeat myself a little bit. One of the main attractions for a lot of visitors is the fact that a couple couple scenes from the 2005 Keira Knightley "Pride and Prejudice" were filmed here. One of the most famous scenes is where she rejects the marriage proposal from Mr. Darcy. This was filmed at the Temple of Apollo on the grounds. I was able to convince Jacob, James' oldest son, to act out that particular scene with me for some photos. It was pretty hysterical trying to teach a 10-year old how to propose. He needs a bit more training before the real thing but it was a start ;) Kind of rough that I rejected him as well...what?! I had to be true to the original script!
Tonight was another chill night back at the hotel. Nate, Katie and I have sat down for another Who marathon. We totally sucked her in and are more than a little bit proud of ourselves for doing so!
Go, Team Doctor!








Post a Comment