Last Sunday with the Program
Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Sunday, June 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Today I experienced a really neat and exceptionally tender mercy from the Lord at the sacrament meeting in the Hyde Park ward.
A little over three years ago, I was sitting in the exact same chapel. It was my first Sunday abroad and I was more than a little bit homesick, nervous and just struggling internally. During the sacrament, I happened to glance up at the deacons passing and one particular little boy gave me the nicest, most heart-warming smile I have ever seen. That simple act of kindness made my whole day and entire out-look so much better. Today, during the testimony portion of the meeting, a young man got up to bare his testimony and I found myself staring at an older version of that adorable deacon. It was a little bit earth-shaking. His testimony was pure and simple and I was touched to hear that this was his final sacrament meeting in the ward before returning to America with his family (they had been then for four years on some kind of service mission, I believe). After the meeting I took a moment to thank him and briefly explained my story to him. I don't believe I articulated it very well but he was so kind and generous and seemed genuinely grateful for my gratitude. It is the small things that make life so amazing, right?
After church, a small group of us went to explore the Science Museum, the Natural History Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum. The first two were wonderful but when I walked into the V&A I remembered just how sick I am of art. Haha! That might be really bad but I honestly do not believe I can handle much more. Since the group had split up and decided on a meeting time already, the people I was with all found a comfy section of couches and took short power naps and then regrouped at the designated time. We did feel a bit lame having walked through only a single hallway of such a massive museum, but, really...can you blame us?!
I then dragged everyone to go see the location of the front door to Sherlock's 221B Baker Street apartment in the BBC series but the door had been taken down (tears!). Supposedly the door remains in place even once filming is completed but it wasn't there today. Bummer. Not sure what happened but I will be going back for another try later in the week...maybe drag my parents along too :P
We then made a detour to see Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station. It was rather entertaining because they recently learned what a big deal that is to the tourists. When I went to the site three years ago it was hidden in a back corner that no one could find and it was just...there: a small sign with a half trolley cart sticking out of the wall. It didn't stop us from getting fabulous photos but it wasn't all that thrilling. Now they have a set-up line, with attendants and a professional photographer! The attendants provide you with a wand and scarf and even suggested poses for your photos (which you can take yourself or pay the pro to take for you). It is SO amusing to watch! But you know what? I will also be making my parents do that with me as well! It is all part of the true London experience ;)
There is a really sweet pub by our hotel, which is where we went for dinner. It is a nice little joint run by an Irish family (okay, I don't know if they are a family but most of the servers were Irish hahah). There I got a really good shepherd's pie. And...that leads into a GREAT side-story that I am going to record for my sake:
Katie is one of the funniest girls I know. She says some of the most inadvertently hilarious one-liners ever uttered. Today she had been talking non-stop about the shepherd's pie that she had been dying to try. Somehow people started debating about what kind of meat is supposed to be in that dish. After a heated debate, Katie, all flustered and frustrated, suddenly throws her arms up in the air and yells, "It isn't called "cattle herder's pie," so it obviously isn't beef! SHEEP-herd's pie...it is lamb, dang it!" I could not stop laughing because of how serious he was about the whole thing. So, of course, that was the joke for the rest of the night.
Goodness, we really had a great group on this trip!





Post a Comment