I Gotta Feeling...
Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Thursday, April 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM
That today was a pretty good day!
The meetings that we thought would be short...were not so short, but that is kind of just how Mormons work, isn't it?
Ex. "I promise, I am wrapping this up..." *an hour later* "...really, I am almost done."
It is ok though because our speakers were pretty entertaining to listen to!
We learned all the rules, found out how classes will work and then were addressed by a bishop from the stake we will be serving in. This guy was hilarious! Very "British." Lots of understatement and sarcasm and it was just so fun to listen to him. He also explained some of the cultural differences that can really hinder us from being successful in our callings. I will have to give details later but in short...
-clamorous(ness)
Someone not knowing how to properly start a conversation with a total stranger.
-understatement
Sometimes it is misunderstood.
-British obsession with age vs. American obsession with size
British "The house I own is over 150 years old." American "The house I own is ______ sq. ft."
-accents
Apparently, most of the British can tell when someone is faking a British accent (better than Americans can tell when someone is faking an American accent) and it is rather annoying to them.
It was a very interesting learning experience.
I had no idea about how to start a conversation in the UK without appearing rude or overbearing. Well, more like I had no idea what was considered rude in the UK.
Lesson: Never start with your name. In the UK that is the last piece of information you give someone. There is interesting reasoning behind it but I don't have time to explain. It is really fascinating though!
Just take my word for it.
The meetings that we thought would be short...were not so short, but that is kind of just how Mormons work, isn't it?
Ex. "I promise, I am wrapping this up..." *an hour later* "...really, I am almost done."
It is ok though because our speakers were pretty entertaining to listen to!
We learned all the rules, found out how classes will work and then were addressed by a bishop from the stake we will be serving in. This guy was hilarious! Very "British." Lots of understatement and sarcasm and it was just so fun to listen to him. He also explained some of the cultural differences that can really hinder us from being successful in our callings. I will have to give details later but in short...
-clamorous(ness)
Someone not knowing how to properly start a conversation with a total stranger.
-understatement
Sometimes it is misunderstood.
-British obsession with age vs. American obsession with size
British "The house I own is over 150 years old." American "The house I own is ______ sq. ft."
-accents
Apparently, most of the British can tell when someone is faking a British accent (better than Americans can tell when someone is faking an American accent) and it is rather annoying to them.
It was a very interesting learning experience.
I had no idea about how to start a conversation in the UK without appearing rude or overbearing. Well, more like I had no idea what was considered rude in the UK.
Lesson: Never start with your name. In the UK that is the last piece of information you give someone. There is interesting reasoning behind it but I don't have time to explain. It is really fascinating though!
Just take my word for it.

So interesting!