Goodbye Florence
Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Yet another Sunday in Europe and, more specifically, Italy. I was laughing because the eyes of the missionaries waiting outside of the church building got huge when they saw all 43 of us strolling up. And then...then I realized I knew one of them! Elder (or "Anziano") Scott Collins was a freshman in my ward when I was an RA at Wyview. It was so exciting to see him out in his element. His Italian is excellent and he actually translated from the pupil for us. He was actually even more confident and well-spoken than the elder last week who was finishing up his mission and he still has six months left! I was seriously impressed. Again, it was so neat to see that the church is true everywhere we go. I love getting to see the global gospel in action.
After church, I struck out on my own for a bit. I have made some really good friends on this trip but I have been in desperate need of some alone time. The first stop was into the Palazzo Strozzi where I saw the competition panels for the Baptistry doors. It was interesting to see the two side by side and I really wish I had been allowed to take a photo of it. The metalwork was stunning and so impressive. And it was also super interesting to compare the different styles of the two artists depicting the same story (the sacrifice of Isaac).
Around this time it started to rain. I thought I would head back to the hotel for a bit until it (hopefully) let up. I didn't bring an umbrella with me and am too cheap (and not desperate enough...yet) to buy one, so of course it starts pouring. This was a full-on thunderstorm! And I got caught in it as I am making my way across the bridge. But it was not miserable at all. I loved it so much! The rain was refreshing, the thunder invigorating and the moment inspiring. It was one of those simple memories that will be burned in my mind forever: walking across a beautiful bridge and singing quietly to myself in the pouring rain in Florence...finding it so hard to believe that I am really experiencing all of this...finding myself for a moment completely content with the world and my place in it.
Once at the hotel, I dried off and contemplated just calling it a day. I wanted to jut sit inside, listen to the rain and maybe take a nap. However, as the rain began to slow, I reminded myself that I am here to see as much as I possibly can...and off I went!
I then visited the Basillica of Santa Croce. It was spacious on the inside and had some very pretty elements but I have become a bit numb to churches in general. I feel bad but it is true. They all start to blend together in my mind. But you know, it does make it that much more amazing when one church/cathedral really leaves an impression on me. San Giovanni still strikes me as one of the most impressive ones I have seen thus far.
The Museum at the house of Buonarroti (Michelangelo) was...alright. It was kind of neat to see early works by Michelangelo but there was nothing that absolutely blew me away.
I had a geek session at the Galileo Museum though because of all the old globes, telescopes and clocks. I love old stuff! Particularly scientific-looking items. It was fun to look at but I really didn't learn much because I was too tired to read all the panels. Oh well. Still enjoyed it.
The Palazzo Vecchio was also just okay. I found it fun to visual living in such a massive palace and having grand gatherings in the ballroom but there were no works of art that I found noteworthy. However, I took the opportunity to take some photos of me keeping the Weeping Angels in check (Doctor Who reference), which I promptly sent to my family and Whovian friends. It seems to have been received well! ;)
I then strolled, bought stamps for my postcards and a two euro pizza (way better than you would think it would be!) for dinner. Back at the hotel, I was able to Face-time my family for a bit and wish Mom a "Happy Mother's Day!" It was so nice to see them, even if they were all pixelated and choppy :D
I met up with the group later this evening and the professors then treated us to gelato. Mehlanie, Mariella and I followed the Swensens afterwards to the local park to play for a bit. Have I mentioned that I love kids? 'Cause I do.
As we were walking home across the bridge, there was a beautiful sunset and I mentally said my goodbyes to the city. It really has been a wonderful stay! I will miss you, Florence.
After church, I struck out on my own for a bit. I have made some really good friends on this trip but I have been in desperate need of some alone time. The first stop was into the Palazzo Strozzi where I saw the competition panels for the Baptistry doors. It was interesting to see the two side by side and I really wish I had been allowed to take a photo of it. The metalwork was stunning and so impressive. And it was also super interesting to compare the different styles of the two artists depicting the same story (the sacrifice of Isaac).
Around this time it started to rain. I thought I would head back to the hotel for a bit until it (hopefully) let up. I didn't bring an umbrella with me and am too cheap (and not desperate enough...yet) to buy one, so of course it starts pouring. This was a full-on thunderstorm! And I got caught in it as I am making my way across the bridge. But it was not miserable at all. I loved it so much! The rain was refreshing, the thunder invigorating and the moment inspiring. It was one of those simple memories that will be burned in my mind forever: walking across a beautiful bridge and singing quietly to myself in the pouring rain in Florence...finding it so hard to believe that I am really experiencing all of this...finding myself for a moment completely content with the world and my place in it.
Once at the hotel, I dried off and contemplated just calling it a day. I wanted to jut sit inside, listen to the rain and maybe take a nap. However, as the rain began to slow, I reminded myself that I am here to see as much as I possibly can...and off I went!
I then visited the Basillica of Santa Croce. It was spacious on the inside and had some very pretty elements but I have become a bit numb to churches in general. I feel bad but it is true. They all start to blend together in my mind. But you know, it does make it that much more amazing when one church/cathedral really leaves an impression on me. San Giovanni still strikes me as one of the most impressive ones I have seen thus far.
The Museum at the house of Buonarroti (Michelangelo) was...alright. It was kind of neat to see early works by Michelangelo but there was nothing that absolutely blew me away.
I had a geek session at the Galileo Museum though because of all the old globes, telescopes and clocks. I love old stuff! Particularly scientific-looking items. It was fun to look at but I really didn't learn much because I was too tired to read all the panels. Oh well. Still enjoyed it.
The Palazzo Vecchio was also just okay. I found it fun to visual living in such a massive palace and having grand gatherings in the ballroom but there were no works of art that I found noteworthy. However, I took the opportunity to take some photos of me keeping the Weeping Angels in check (Doctor Who reference), which I promptly sent to my family and Whovian friends. It seems to have been received well! ;)
I then strolled, bought stamps for my postcards and a two euro pizza (way better than you would think it would be!) for dinner. Back at the hotel, I was able to Face-time my family for a bit and wish Mom a "Happy Mother's Day!" It was so nice to see them, even if they were all pixelated and choppy :D
I met up with the group later this evening and the professors then treated us to gelato. Mehlanie, Mariella and I followed the Swensens afterwards to the local park to play for a bit. Have I mentioned that I love kids? 'Cause I do.
As we were walking home across the bridge, there was a beautiful sunset and I mentally said my goodbyes to the city. It really has been a wonderful stay! I will miss you, Florence.









What city will you be in for church next Sunday?