Observations about Greece
Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 5:00 AM
-people are SUPER friendly, vendors especially...so it is sometimes difficult to judge their (as in all Greeks) sincerity
-stray dogs are abundant and everywhere and are not aggressive, as I somewhat expected them to be
-severe lack of safety measures and accessibility accommodations (ex. little to no railing, slick stones with no warnings, no ramps/elevators for wheelchairs, etc.)
-tap water in Greece is WAY better than in Florida (just for a point of comparison)
-many locals have a decent grasp of English and are willing to put forth the effort to communicate with you
*The photo is of the Greek flag our awesome travel agent, Costa, gave to us at our departure. He was one of the sweetest men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. When I went to say goodbye, he pulled me aside and said, "Remember, you are always the fastest and the strongest...but maybe not the biggest. Good luck with the rest of your life!" His statement was in regards to a previous conversation in which I had asked him how the right-of-way works on Grecian streets. His reply was, "Whoever is the biggest, strongest and fastest has the right-of-way." To which I replied that I am a fairly cocky individual and would always consider myself the fastest and strongest. When he cocked his eyebrow, indicating I had forgotten the third one, I smiled and said that I would prefer to not always be the biggest in order to retain some sense of femininity.
-stray dogs are abundant and everywhere and are not aggressive, as I somewhat expected them to be
-severe lack of safety measures and accessibility accommodations (ex. little to no railing, slick stones with no warnings, no ramps/elevators for wheelchairs, etc.)
-tap water in Greece is WAY better than in Florida (just for a point of comparison)
-many locals have a decent grasp of English and are willing to put forth the effort to communicate with you
*The photo is of the Greek flag our awesome travel agent, Costa, gave to us at our departure. He was one of the sweetest men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. When I went to say goodbye, he pulled me aside and said, "Remember, you are always the fastest and the strongest...but maybe not the biggest. Good luck with the rest of your life!" His statement was in regards to a previous conversation in which I had asked him how the right-of-way works on Grecian streets. His reply was, "Whoever is the biggest, strongest and fastest has the right-of-way." To which I replied that I am a fairly cocky individual and would always consider myself the fastest and strongest. When he cocked his eyebrow, indicating I had forgotten the third one, I smiled and said that I would prefer to not always be the biggest in order to retain some sense of femininity.


Thinking if I visit Greece, I will NOT rent a car. ;)