Just Another Day

Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Our first full day in Europe proved to be yet another success. Granted, not every element of the planned itinerary worked out, but our group is really flexible and makes even the "inconvenient" moments fun!

The morning started off with a walk up to the Acropolis hill, where the Parthenon is located. We made several little stops on the way up to take in the incredible view that just kept getting better as we climbed. We even had a moment to spend on Mars Hill where Paul supposedly gave his most famous sermon to the Greeks. Again, the view was simply breath-taking.

The Parthenon itself is obviously iconic and lives up to all expectations. One slightly disappointing aspect is that most of one side is covered in scaffolding and you can see the restoration/preservation equipment within. However, I had known this was the case and was prepared for it, whereas some of the other students were absolutely distraught. Luckily, the opposite side of the temple has been cleared of scaffolding and everyone was able to get the pictures they wanted over there.

While there observing such an amazing feat of engineering, mathematics, architecture and just sheer will-power, I was overcome by a rather contemplative mood. Staring at the giant formation, I was just really struck by the dedication and determination that it represented. Pagan or not, the temple showed just how devoted the ancient Greeks were to pleasing their gods. Meant to celebrate and praise Athena and her greatest attributes, every element of the structure was carefully planned, exactly laid and precisely carried out with a deep sense of honor. The curves in the floor and the swelling of the columns are devices used to trick the eye into seeing perfect lines where they do not exist. The perfection was meant to mirror the city's perfect deity. It just really proved to me how powerful a motivation true devotion really is in the human experience.

I have been overcome by this same feeling and intimate understanding of one aspect of humanity while standing in front of an ancient pagan temple, a medieval Catholic cathedral, and a modern LDS temple. No matter the religion, the feeling is the same. I have even experienced the exact same emotions when looking at secular art or architecture. It is the commitment that always strikes me. Commitment to an idea, to God, to your fellow man...commitment to something good, something outside of yourself can be strongly evidenced through material means. I think that is one reason why I have always been so drawn to art history, this need and desire to learn what the artist was committed to and what he was doing to prove that commitment. In a society of degrading morals and lessening responsibility, the proof of human commitment, loyalty, and devotion is so refreshing.

But back to business.

The Parthenon was impressive and inspiring but I found myself much more drawn to the amazing view of Athens spread out below us. I have a thing for heights: in my mind, everything looks better from above. A lofty vantage point is something I am constantly looking for whenever I go exploring or site-seeing. This is probably why I love hiking, particularly in the mountains, so much. From the Acropolis you can see basically the entire city and even out to the coastline and into the ocean. It was stunning. I would have loved to have spent the whole day up there just enjoying the view and watching how the light changes as the day begins, progresses and ends.

For a moment I was kicking myself for not having brought my "big" camera but then I realized that it was so much more important to me that I be looking with my eyes. I think that as part of the Facebook generation I have become far too obsessed with this need to prove myself to others, my digital friends. It is this constant and over-powering need to prove that I was there, I did this, I saw these people, I experienced that, etc. And the proof is in the photos. However, the longer I enjoyed the view the more I reflected on how important it is to experience this world for yourself and not as a way to prove your existence to others. Travel should be personal. I am learning that now and hoping that I can really apply that knowledge to/on this trip.

After the Acropolis, as a group we went to the Archeology Museum...to find that it was closing in 15 minutes. Greece's economy is in such a poor state that often times museums and similar sites that cannot afford the proper amount of staffing will close early with little or no warning. It was disappointing to not go in but we are hoping to still squeeze it in on Saturday. A small group of us decided to make the most of the unexpected free time and visit the Temple of the Olympian Zeus. Having walked almost 2 miles, we were yet again disappointed to find that the site had also closed early. We maintained a pretty good attitude though and enjoyed strolling along the city streets and looking at the various shops on our way back.

Tonight we ate as a group at an authentic Greek restaurant on the top of a large hill. The view from my table overlooked the city and was stunning, especially as the sun began to set. The owner/chef, Helen, came and introduced herself and expressed how she was cooking for us as if we were her children. In her words, "The food is full of my love!" We were served a full, three-course, authentic Greek dinner. It was delicious, although I will never be a fan of olives.

On the way back to the hotel, I was almost "stolen," according to Melanie (a fellow student), ha-ha! As we were walking down the stairs I stopped to let one of the waiters pass but he motioned me to go first. As I was passing I thanked him and suddenly found his arm around my shoulders. Smiling, he said, "Let me take you to the Roof Top Garden," which appeared to be the name of the restaurant he was working at. He steered me towards the entrance which was in an alleyway and I said, "Oh, I can't! I need to stay with my group." Again, smiling he said, "No problem" but kept directing me towards the entrance. I managed to slip out from under his arm and apologized. When I got back to the group some of them looked a tad shaken. I was laughing and explained that you just got to say, "No." I have noticed that most Greeks are extremely friendly and outgoing but not necessarily sincere. They are their most charming and flirtatious when they are trying to sell you something. Obviously, I have seen this a lot outside of Greece as well but these shop vendors and restaurant owners are some of the most persistent salesman I have ever encountered.

And that sums up the first full day on the European continent!






Comments:

There are 1 comments for Just Another Day

Post a Comment