See ya later, Athens.

Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Today was once again jam packed. We spent the morning visiting two museums: The Acropolis Museum and the National Archaeological Museum. Both are in Athens but on complete opposite sides of the city...needless to say, I worked off any and all of the baklava I had consumed in the last couple of days (for the record, my mom's baklava is just as good, if not better, than the authentic Grecian produced stuff).

The Acropolis Museum does not allow pictures but I was thrilled to see in person several pieces from my art history books such as the Calf-Bearer and several Koros and Kore figures.

The National Archaeological Museum (which we actually managed to hit at the right time this time) was chalk-full of so many famous ancient Greek works of art that I thought my eyes would pop out of my head. I wish we didn't have to rush though it as quickly as we did but we had to be back in time to catch our bus to the airport for our flight to Rome.

We did not get to Rome until around 8:30pm and by the time we had got our bags and caught a lift (a mini-can/shuttle with a driver who spoke some English but not much) to the hotel it was almost 10pm. We were all hungry and luckily heard about a pizzeria down the street that is open late. And there I had my first truly Italian pizza (Pizza Margherita, in case you wanted specifics).
Let me tell you, I was not disappointed. It was delicious. As a side note, we weren't exactly sure where the pizzeria was at, so I had the opportunity to try my hand at a bit of Italian with a local who was passing by. She spoke absolutely no English but I was thrilled that I even remotely caught the gist of what she was telling me. Exciting! But my Italian is actually worse than ever. I am kicking myself for not having kept my 101 textbook to reference...I might have been able to hold my own if I had brushed up just a bit. Drat.

I have already noticed that this city feels a hit more foreign than Greece. There were a lot of locals in Greece who had a good grasp of English, but that is not the case here. Also, there are much fewer signs with English subtitles than in Greece as well. I will be interested to see how the rest if the experience compares to Athens!

And now I am off to bed. We are attending a local ward in the morning. I believe our group of 43 people is about to triple the attendance rate at their sacrament meeting, ha-ha!







Comments:

There are 1 comments for See ya later, Athens.

Post a Comment