Hurting but Happy
Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Feeling pretty tired and worn out today. The "pillow" on my hotel bed is really more of a soft rock and I woke up with a pretty messed up neck. However, it didn't stop me from giving Sally and Andrew (two of James' children, ages 8 and 6) turns up on my shoulders as we walked to and from places. I am such a sucker for young kids and I am trying SO hard to become the favorite student with them (forget about teacher's pet...I have basically graduated!). But, man, I am feeling it now. I just ache.
It also didn't help that yesterday I was playing around with George and Andrew teaching them how to squat when you are weight-training. One of them would be on my shoulders, while the other would pretend to be my coach and yell things at me to get me to work harder (George's phrase of choice for trash talking me was, "You wuss! You weigh only one pound!" I could not stop laughing, because he was trying so hard to be serious about it). Today, Andrew would yell at me to squat from up on my shoulders. I probably should have ignored him but I do need the exercise, so down I went. Hah!
So now my thighs hurt as well! It is all in good fun and I really do not mind at all, but I am planning on hitting the sack pretty early tonight in hopes of recovering enough to continue my fight for favorite in the morning ;)
Today was spent in and out of churches and museums, as usual. However, there was really nothing of major significance that I wish to report. We saw some wonderful things and beautiful pieces but nothing that absolutely blew me away enough to dedicate part of a blog post to writing about (maybe that is me becoming numb...goodness! I hope not!).
One particular experience I really enjoyed was hiking to the very top of the Duomo. It is a little bit higher than the bell tower that we climbed yesterday (they are situated right next to each other) and the weather was gorgeous today so the view was even better. There is just something about those burnt-orange rooftops against a clear blue sky that takes my breath away. Stunning. Beautiful. Gorgeous. Fabulous. Magnificent. Awe-inspiring.There just really aren't enough words for it.
After our academic visits were done for the day, a couple of us went to go shopping in the market place. On the way there we happened upon a flag-throwers performance, which was pretty neat to watch. At the market I found a vendor who was selling ties at a good price and decided to pick up some for Dad and the boys. Hopefully they like them! If not...they were a good deal, at least ;) However, I don't want to admit how long I stood in front of the rack debating which ones to buy...indecision slaughters me once again.
And that was basically it. We got dinner at the same place as the first night here (the owner is a super nice man and the food is delicious and reasonably priced and the WiFi is GREAT) and them came back to the hotel to veg. Once again, I am feeling very satisfied with my day. Go me!
It also didn't help that yesterday I was playing around with George and Andrew teaching them how to squat when you are weight-training. One of them would be on my shoulders, while the other would pretend to be my coach and yell things at me to get me to work harder (George's phrase of choice for trash talking me was, "You wuss! You weigh only one pound!" I could not stop laughing, because he was trying so hard to be serious about it). Today, Andrew would yell at me to squat from up on my shoulders. I probably should have ignored him but I do need the exercise, so down I went. Hah!
So now my thighs hurt as well! It is all in good fun and I really do not mind at all, but I am planning on hitting the sack pretty early tonight in hopes of recovering enough to continue my fight for favorite in the morning ;)
Today was spent in and out of churches and museums, as usual. However, there was really nothing of major significance that I wish to report. We saw some wonderful things and beautiful pieces but nothing that absolutely blew me away enough to dedicate part of a blog post to writing about (maybe that is me becoming numb...goodness! I hope not!).
One particular experience I really enjoyed was hiking to the very top of the Duomo. It is a little bit higher than the bell tower that we climbed yesterday (they are situated right next to each other) and the weather was gorgeous today so the view was even better. There is just something about those burnt-orange rooftops against a clear blue sky that takes my breath away. Stunning. Beautiful. Gorgeous. Fabulous. Magnificent. Awe-inspiring.There just really aren't enough words for it.
After our academic visits were done for the day, a couple of us went to go shopping in the market place. On the way there we happened upon a flag-throwers performance, which was pretty neat to watch. At the market I found a vendor who was selling ties at a good price and decided to pick up some for Dad and the boys. Hopefully they like them! If not...they were a good deal, at least ;) However, I don't want to admit how long I stood in front of the rack debating which ones to buy...indecision slaughters me once again.
And that was basically it. We got dinner at the same place as the first night here (the owner is a super nice man and the food is delicious and reasonably priced and the WiFi is GREAT) and them came back to the hotel to veg. Once again, I am feeling very satisfied with my day. Go me!






George's phrase is now our new favorite taunt: "You wuss! You weigh only one pound!" (So classic.) Who is the kid with the worried look on his face in the stairwell? Lol