Evensong at St. Paul's Cathedral
Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Saturday, June 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM
I actually followed through on my original desire to attend an Evensong (not EVENINGsong as I thought...really embarrassing moment in the cathedral for me when I found that out...) while in London. Granted, originally, I stated that I wanted to attend this event at Westminster Abbey but I fell so in love with St. Paul's that I decided I wanted to go there more.
It really was a special experience to me.
I found it so fascinating to watch how tradition-based the event is and how symbolic everything is within the program.
The music was absolutely beautiful and those little boys in the choir nearly made me cry, their voices were so angelic. Some of them must have been no older than 7 and to have that kind of voice....oh, it just makes your spirit soar to listen to it (I cannot think of a better way to describe it).
I just really appreciate seeing people who are so dedicated to their religion that they are willing to spend every night of the week participating in this form of praise and thanksgiving. I have always thought it very sad how a lot of the world has lost that kind of dedication to a higher being, to a greater good. It was refreshing to enjoy seeing their love and loyalty displayed like that.
If you ever have a chance to attend an Evensong, please do. It is worth every minute (and it really is not all that long).
If you want to listen to a sample of the kind of music within the program check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nglPjpkuxA8&feature=related
*the header-picture is from the St. Paul's website because you are not allowed to take photos within the cathedral


Post a Comment