Tuesday night we attended a performance of War Horse.
The set and the costumes and special effects were absolutely incredible. As the play progressed, it was really hard to remember that the horses were only puppets. ...big, impressive, realistic puppets at that! The larger horses were operated by three puppeteers (they also had some smaller ones that were only manned by one or two people). Two people were in the body controlling the legs and tail, while one person held and operated the head movements and the twitching of the ears. All three "voiced" the horse, which made for an interesting audio-visual effect because it made the horse louder and more powerful sounding.
The story is the classic one about a boy who loves his horse. Joey (the horse) ends up being taken as a Calvary horse in World War I and Albert (the boy) runs off to try and find him and bring him home. The story-line was a bit hard to believe just because you see all the death and carnage around this boy and he can only think about his horse. I am really not sure how they could have altered that without changing the main theme of the story but I wish Albert would have at least changed throughout the war and come back home different and more mature but he didn't, which took away from the believability of the the story. Oh well.
I enjoyed it.
Not my favorite show but very enjoyable and when we analyzed it in class today it, I realized that it is a really good commentary about war but you really have to dig to find those deeper qualities.
The set and the costumes and special effects were absolutely incredible. As the play progressed, it was really hard to remember that the horses were only puppets. ...big, impressive, realistic puppets at that! The larger horses were operated by three puppeteers (they also had some smaller ones that were only manned by one or two people). Two people were in the body controlling the legs and tail, while one person held and operated the head movements and the twitching of the ears. All three "voiced" the horse, which made for an interesting audio-visual effect because it made the horse louder and more powerful sounding.
The story is the classic one about a boy who loves his horse. Joey (the horse) ends up being taken as a Calvary horse in World War I and Albert (the boy) runs off to try and find him and bring him home. The story-line was a bit hard to believe just because you see all the death and carnage around this boy and he can only think about his horse. I am really not sure how they could have altered that without changing the main theme of the story but I wish Albert would have at least changed throughout the war and come back home different and more mature but he didn't, which took away from the believability of the the story. Oh well.
I enjoyed it.
Not my favorite show but very enjoyable and when we analyzed it in class today it, I realized that it is a really good commentary about war but you really have to dig to find those deeper qualities.



Post a Comment