The Ever-Inspiring Lake District

Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Friday, June 4, 2010 at 4:12 PM

First item of business: This was not written when the blog says it was.

I am actually typing this and my next post on Microsoft word while I am sitting in a hotel in Liverpool refusing to pay for internet. I did not want to forget what I have done these last two days, so I am “blogging” about it now and will actually post it later. We just cram so much into every day on these extended trips that it is over-whelming trying to remember everything! Hopefully, this will help me.

Second item business: The Bronte residence.

Our first stop of the day was the Bronte home. It is where Emily, Anne, and Charlotte Bronte (sisters and all authors) grew up and lived most of their lives. Pretty area and that is really all there is to say about that. Moving on…

Third item of business: My adventures in the Lake District.

The Lake District is absolutely stunning! Many of the greatest British writers visited or lived in the Lake District because they found it so inspiring. It is easy to see why. While sitting next to the lake, watching the sun dance on the waves, I kind of wanted to write a poem myself. However, it struck me as a very daunting task because...how could anyone ever capture with words the pure, simple, natural beauty that surrounds us.

I realized that those writers were rather brave in their attempts to capture the essence that is the Lake District in their writing. It is a huge task, one that would seem impossible but luckily there are those among us who are talented enough to at least capture a tiny portion of that beauty and share it with us, contained in a poem or story or song. Oh, I really wish I had that kind of talent!
We got a chance to visit Dove Cottage, which is where William Wordsworth lived and completed some of his most famous works. It was a cute little house. I must admit though…we have seen so many writers’ houses that the novelty of the experience has kind of worn off. I liked it, but I really wouldn’t go out of my way to visit those kinds of sites unless you are a super-fan of that particular author. There really isn’t much to see (don’t tell the National Trust I said that or they will come after me with their pitchforks and shovels (which will probably date from William Shakespeare’s time or have belonged to Beatrix Potter’s gardener or something like that…) to teach me a lesson).
Our hostel was right next to Lake Windermere…the view from my window was breath-taking. As it got darker Ross, Tiffany, Emma and I took a walk around part of the lake. We stopped a couple times to enjoy the view and to watch some bats flit across the water. Bats are so cool! Although, one of them really enjoyed tormenting me and flying super close to my head…it made me really nervous!

After our walk, we returned to the hostel and attempted to play the game of Life.



Can I say that got old really fast? We started doing “double spins” (where you spin but double the number) and then went to “triple spins” and then just called it good when Ross got to the end.

Off to bed after that!

And it was the most comfortable bed I have slept in this entire program!

Comments:

There are 0 comments for The Ever-Inspiring Lake District

Post a Comment