LIVER-to-the-POOL
Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Friday, June 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM
This morning we got up and took a ferry across Windermere Lake to visit Hill Top Farm where Beatrix Potter lived and wrote the Adventures of Peter Rabbit. It was really cool actually, because they had her books open in the house and you could see that her illustrations were completely based on certain areas of her own home! I had no idea.
Trying to actually get to the house was an adventure in itself. We were told that from where the ferry dropped us off we had about a 2 mile walk. So, we start walking trying to find this place by following the signs. Dr. Cooper’s son (who I believe is 10...ish) really wanted to lead the way so we let him (he was closely followed by Ross and I who were double-checking the signs to make sure he was going the right way).
Well…um…we all kind of missed one of the signs (perhaps the most important of the signs, ironically enough). We ended up hiking about another 10 minutes before we ran into a local who pointed us back in the direction we had just come from and told us about the fork where we had turned the wrong way. Ross and I were laughing and thought it was kind of funny that no one (not the Cooper boy, not us, not any of the professors) noticed that we had gone the wrong way. Ross and I took charge, turned the group around and ran ahead on the trail to find the right path. I love that Ross always has such a good attitude! Especially with the complaints and slight frustration that colored the background behind him and I as we went ahead. But no worries, we got there eventually and were actually only 5 minutes late to our appointment. Not bad at all!
Next stop was Liverpool!
We checked into our hotel (that is right…hotel not hostel) and then went to see the immigrant statue on the pier that was erected by the Church. Then a small group of us went to Tate Liverpool and looked at the art and then meet up with a huge group to go through the Beatles Museum. I enjoyed it. It was interesting because I really knew nothing about the Beatles. I like their music (mostly) but I am not a crazed fan so it was a good experience but not the highlight of my trip (as I know it was for others).
Today was good. Not too stressful, which is perfect.
The biggest bonus though is this hotel! I forgot how accommodating a hotel is compared to a hostel! There is a shower and bathroom in your room. They give you soap and shampoo. They make your beds for you. It is clean (the hostels were not that bad but there certainly is a difference to be felt). Oh man, what a difference!
And now…my bed is calling me. We have a 7:30am departure planned for tomorrow….eh, that is life.
Trying to actually get to the house was an adventure in itself. We were told that from where the ferry dropped us off we had about a 2 mile walk. So, we start walking trying to find this place by following the signs. Dr. Cooper’s son (who I believe is 10...ish) really wanted to lead the way so we let him (he was closely followed by Ross and I who were double-checking the signs to make sure he was going the right way).
Well…um…we all kind of missed one of the signs (perhaps the most important of the signs, ironically enough). We ended up hiking about another 10 minutes before we ran into a local who pointed us back in the direction we had just come from and told us about the fork where we had turned the wrong way. Ross and I were laughing and thought it was kind of funny that no one (not the Cooper boy, not us, not any of the professors) noticed that we had gone the wrong way. Ross and I took charge, turned the group around and ran ahead on the trail to find the right path. I love that Ross always has such a good attitude! Especially with the complaints and slight frustration that colored the background behind him and I as we went ahead. But no worries, we got there eventually and were actually only 5 minutes late to our appointment. Not bad at all!
After this we took an impromptu visit to the Preston, England temple. So gorgeous. I am really glad we were able to stop...even if it was only for about half an hour. I just love being able to walk around the temple grounds and enjoy the beauty of it all.
After that Emma and I hung out. We went and got milkshakes then dinner (out of order? No. Not at all). We enjoyed seeing more of Liverpool and walked down the pier for awhile just chatting.
The biggest bonus though is this hotel! I forgot how accommodating a hotel is compared to a hostel! There is a shower and bathroom in your room. They give you soap and shampoo. They make your beds for you. It is clean (the hostels were not that bad but there certainly is a difference to be felt). Oh man, what a difference!
And now…my bed is calling me. We have a 7:30am departure planned for tomorrow….eh, that is life.

Hey- I think milkshakes should be before every dinner.