Wales…Why Don’t More People Talk About Wales?
Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Friday, June 4, 2010 at 5:05 PM
I feel like we discovered a completely new country today! I cannot for the life of me figure out why people seem to ignore Wales. You always hear people say that they really want to go to England or Scotland…but I think I have heard...maybe, maybe...one person say they wanted to go to Wales. I don’t think it is because they don’t think of Wales as a worthwhile trip but because Scotland and England tend to completely overshadow their little buddy country.
I have come to regard Wales as my favorite country in Britain! It is fantastic! The cities and towns we visited felt cleaner. The area had a really rustic feel to it. The castles are amazing! And…everything is cheaper here! Beautiful. I wish I would have known how cheap it was before I blew all my money elsewhere. Oh well. Another lesson learned. Mom, learn from my mistakes!
Next stop was Caerfanon Castle which is actually where the Prince of Wales is always crowned. This castle was bigger and certainly more impressive than the other one but an interesting fact is that while Caerfanon has been taken over a couple times, Beaumaris is known for being undefeated and virtually impenetrable.
The first castle we visited today was Beaumaris, which was awesome! We showed up right when it opened and had the place completely to ourselves. They allow you to climb all over the rocks and walls and so we had a blast! I also bought some swords and a bow and arrow and played “Storming the Castle” with Dr. Cooper’s young boys. It was hilarious!
Next stop was Caerfanon Castle which is actually where the Prince of Wales is always crowned. This castle was bigger and certainly more impressive than the other one but an interesting fact is that while Caerfanon has been taken over a couple times, Beaumaris is known for being undefeated and virtually impenetrable. Both castles were awesome! They have become my new favorite sites that we have seen.
Next we went to a cathedral in Coventry which was really cool. It is the basic, simple remains of the cathedral after a particular nasty bombing by the Germans during WWII. They built a new, modern cathedral next to it so there could still be worship services held, but the original cathedral remains as a reminder of the importance of forgiveness and reconciliation. It is really powerful.
Then it was time to go home.
It feels nice to be back. Trips like that just wear me out, but it is completely worth it.
Beaumaris: An epic battle between Emmalyn and I
Beaumaris: The view from the top of the walls was amazing!
Beaumaris: Letting down my hair to the dashing Prince Ross (who isn't really all that high...)
Caerfarnon: I was so proud that I was able to climb up the inside of this chimney thing...GO ME!
Caerfarnon: This is my "Oh-I-Am-Just-Killing-People-With-My-Wicked-Bow-And-Arrow-Through-The-Arrow-Slot" face

Post a Comment