The Albert Memorial
Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Thursday, May 6, 2010 at 8:13 AM
This is an absolutely stunning piece of artwork.
I love how many different elements it uses (sculptures, paintings, metal-work, etc.) and how it yet still feels balanced and harmonious. Walking up to this monument the first thing you are struck by is its size. It towers over the gardens. I must admit I was standing under it for several moments completely slack-jawed.
The thing that strikes me most is how it is supposed to show the power of the kingdom of England at the time it was built.
It was constructed during Queen Victoria's time to celebrate the life and work of her late husband Prince Albert (the husband of the queen is never "king" unless he is the rightful heir to the throne, all others are known as prince consort(s) or king consort(s)..."prince" is more common).
The way this piece illustrates the power of England is by showing all four corners of the world united under the seated figure of Prince Albert himself. Surrounding the gold statue of the prince are four elaborate sculpture pieces depicting what were then considered the four main areas of the world. It is quite amazing really, although some may be offended because their own country is not represented directly (no mention of Australia or South American for example...).
The piece really has struck a chord with me. However, I will admit I am not entirely sure why. It just really impressed me.

Post a Comment