Stourhead, O Stourhead, Thou Art My Favorite...th.

Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Friday, May 7, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Stourhead is beautiful (wow...I really need a new word).


This magnificent area is a stunning 18th-century landscape garden (now I sound like a tour book...huh.) that features a man-made "lake" (more of a large pond, but I won't judge) and several temples designed to mirror classical Greek/Roman places of worship.


In case you want a true tour guide description of the place: ttp://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-stourhead

The National Trust is a really awesome organization that buys and maintains/preserves a ton (yeah, real specific there...my bad) of old (classic? ancient? uh...not new...?) gardens, houses, areas, etc. for the education of others.

I am not lying when I say that I honestly believe it would be worth it to come to England just to see Stourhead. It is gorgeous. Plus...a very important scene in the Keira Knightley Pride and Prejudice was filmed here. Eh? Which one? Oh. The way dramatic argument scene in the pouring rain at the temple of Apollo (although...they don't tell you that it is a temple in the movie...). Also, the Palladian Bridge is also seen...somewhere...in the movie (can you tell I have only seen that movie once all the way through? Yeah. The girls in my dorm room were shocked as well...eh).

So...

Simply lovely place it is, indeed.

Comments:

There are 0 comments for Stourhead, O Stourhead, Thou Art My Favorite...th.

Post a Comment