Winston Churchill Museum/War Cabinet Rooms
Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 3:36 PM

This was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome!
We (well, and anyone else who is willing to pay to get in haha!) actually got to go down and walk through the underground war cabinet rooms.
These are the rooms, hallways, tunnels from where Winston Churchill operated/organized the British side of WWII. The rooms had been perfectly preserved because they were sealed right after the end of the war and not touched again until a little while ago when they opened them up for public viewing. Any rooms that had been dismantled during the locking of the base had been faithful restored based on photos and eye-witness accounts.
It was humbling to see the crammed spaces in which these men and women had to live for months at a time. The entire area had been reinforced with thick slabs of cement and iron to protect them (the workers and officials) from collapse during air raids.
It may be my new favorite thing to see in London. I have always been very fascinated by WWII and this was thrilling. There was so much to learn and see and think about. They also had an entire museum within the museum dedicated to Winston Churchill. It was extremely well put together. There were interactive pieces, movies, art displays, a massive touch-screen timeline...it was well-done and contained so much information.
I loved this.
For anyone who enjoys studying Churchill or WWII...this was pretty much information heaven!
P.S. Once again, no photos were allowed inside the museum so the one I have included is a compliation of photos I actually found online.

I live to read your blogs. Thought I'd let you know. ;-) Thanks for posting all the time. You're a talented blogger!