Day 2 (Glastonbury (Abbey and Tor) and Ilfracombe)

Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Friday, May 14, 2010 at 5:40 AM


Let's see if I can cram all of this into one post.

Here's hoping.

We started off our second day with a trip to Glastonbury Abbey, which is actually a pile of ruins. I am almost positive that I enjoyed seeing the ruins more than I would have seeing another fully intact abbey. It made for an interesting twist.

The monk/priest who gave us the tour was hysterical! He was very...not what I expected a priest to be like. He poked fun at himself, the church, the history, everything. I think it made the tour more enjoyable actually!
*If you feel so inclined...ask me about how he instructed us about medieval Viagra...

After that we hiked up to the Tor. We took a "tour of the Tor." He he! I make myself laugh. Anyway, it is this tower that is on top of the largest hill in Glastonbury and the view is absolutely incredible! You can see for miles and miles. The lush green countryside of England is amazing to see from that height.

The view was breath-taking (as was the hike to get up there). The hike though was completely worth it just to look out across so much of England from that vantage point.

One particular note of interest was this one woman on the hill that I enjoyed observing. She was meditating on the hill and I found it very interesting. She even did the yoga poses and everything. I kind of wanted to talk to her about it and see if it was religious or personal or something else. However, she was pretty deep in her trance so I just left her to it.
Next was Wells Cathedral. The people who run Wells are so smart! You are allowed to take photos but you have to pay for a permit in order to do so. Brilliant. They make bank off of people like me. However, I got a student discount and only had to pay a pound. No one else wanted to pay for the permit so I became the unofficial photographer for the group. Sweeeeeeeet.

The cathedral was different from others because of its use of "scissor arches." I really couldn't decide if I liked them or not. Critics of cathedrals are also divided on whether those arches are a positive attribute or a nuisance. Interesting dilemma there: I can see why they still are not sure.
Ilfracombe was were we stayed for the night. It is right on the coast and all of us were giddy to see the ocean. I was in heaven because it was such an easy site to get some astounding photographs (not to brag...). We watched a beautiful sunset. So pretty.
*I will include another post with just photos from the coast because I loved it so much!
Marissa and I were going to try to watch the sunrise as well. She didn't have an alarm and was staying in the other hostel (we were too big for the one so we got split into groups) so I told her I would come get her. She gave me the code but when I went to use it (around 4am mind you) it would not work for me. I felt so bad because I knew she really wanted to watch the sunrise but I had no other way to get ahold of her. I thought about just watching it from the top of the hill by myself but Ilfracombe is really kind of creepy in the early hours of the morning so I decided just to run back to my hostel.

A lesson I learned was that listed times for the sunrise are not reliable in many cases. We looked it up on several different sites and it said that the sun rose at 4:13am...ok, I was out there at 4:13 and it was dark. The sun didn't even start to come up until almost ten to 5am (I kept trying to open the door for like 20 minutes...and totally looked like a creeper haha!) as I was walking back to my place. Another lesson? Seagulls in the day sound "charming" because it means you are by the ocean...at night...they are the scariest things I have ever heard!

Comments:

There are 1 comments for Day 2 (Glastonbury (Abbey and Tor) and Ilfracombe)

Post a Comment