Westminster Abbey (not WestMINISTER)

Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 3:01 PM

So...I am sorry, I am a bit behind.
Friday morning we went and took a tour of Westminster Abbey which was pretty much over-whelming. There is so much crammed into that church. The church itself is, albeit...huge(!) but with all the tombs and statues and monuments stuffed into it, it feels small.

Well, small...until you look up. The vaulted ceilings are some of the (if not the) highest in all of England. They stretch upwards forever it seems.

On ground level though, I felt myself feeling slightly dizzy because there was so much to look at, to take in, to attempt to appreciate. It was a bit jarring. However, the experience of being there was incredible! Standing next to the tombs of Kings and Queens (King Edward III, Mary Queen of Scotts, Queen Elizabeth I, etc.) that I have studied all throughout school left me in awe. Absolute awe.

I was kicking myself though, because I forgot (forgot! *gasp*) to charge my camera battery from the day before! But you weren't allowed to take pictures in the church anyway so it wasn't that much of a loss. So, the photo included here was actually taken the next day when I returned for a walk with a couple friends. But...you know...it still looks exactly the same, even the next day, so we can pretend it was all at the same time :P
P.S. It is minster not minister. A minster is a "church associated with a monastery" (thank you London Walks book).

Comments:

There are 0 comments for Westminster Abbey (not WestMINISTER)

Post a Comment