Macbeth = Blood Bath to the EXTREME!

Posted by Ashley | | Posted On Friday, May 28, 2010 at 3:47 AM

Last night we attended Macbeth at the Globe theatre.
I was pumped! Macbeth is (currently) my favorite Shakespearean play. I arrived an hour before the show to ensure that I would have a prime spot on the floor (front row baby! I was touching the stage the whole time!). Every time our group goes to the Globe we are "groundlings," which are the cheapest seats...because they are not seats. You stand for 3 hours on the ground right around the stage. The exciting part about being a groundling is that the actors move right through the crowd! They talk right to you! They make you part of the show!

I LOVE it!

For this version of Macbeth, those closest to the stage had to stick their head through a tarp because of the blood that drips and other...unpleasant-ness. It was to protect our clothes...I think...however, I still got blood on my pants and coat! Which...I will explain how that happened shortly.

The play was bloody for sure. It was really, really gory. However, that is Macbeth for you. What I was not expecting were the random sexual things they would through in. Macbeth is typically the least sexual of Shakespeare's plays (which may be why I like it the most) but that did not stop the director from throwing completely unnecessary references and graphic displays in the most random parts. I was a bit miffed about that (more like completely ticked). If they had left those out, I would have completely loved this version, but that really did ruin it for me.

Stupid director. He/she probably thought the audience was too stupid to understand certain lines and so had to "show" us what it meant. I hate that. There is beauty in subtly that I wish more people would appreciate and leave alone.

Oh! So the blood on my clothes...the witches and many of the side-characters would roam under the tarp! I was standing right by the part of the stage where they would crawl out from under so I kept getting brushed by witches and soldiers covered in blood. I must say, it did add to the excitement of the production! It also made me extremely nervous and jumpy because you never knew when those characters would appear. I would be slightly at ease and suddenly I would feel a witch by my leg and here her cackle under the tarp...and I couldn't see a thing! Soooooo creepy.

So, it was fun. I enjoyed it but not my favorite...it was...interesting to say the least.

*Side note: We all agreed that Elliot Cowan (who played Macbeth) was very attractive. Just thought you might want to know that.

Comments:

There are 1 comments for Macbeth = Blood Bath to the EXTREME!

Post a Comment